The HBMWD operates two separate and distinct water systems: a domestic water system which supplies treated drinking water; and an industrial system which supplies untreated raw water to large industrial users for industrial purposes.
Current facilities and operations of the HBMWD include:
- R.W. Matthews Dam which forms Ruth Reservoir in southern Trinity County
- Gosselin Hydro-Electric Power House at Matthews Dam
- Diversion, pumping and control facilities adjacent to the Mad River near Essex at the John R. Winzler Operations and Control Center
- Storage and treatment facilities
- Two separate and distinct pipeline systems which deliver treated drinking water or untreated raw water to the HBMWD's customers.